Sunday, May 27, 2007

Band Beam and Slab


I will use a band beam and slab for my building. A band beam is a wide shallow beam that works in conjunction with the slab to provide the necessary structural capabilities. Services can be run alongside beams. The thickness of the slab depends on the spacing required between columns. A thicker slab will mean columns can be placed further apart.

I have chosen to place columns in a 4m grid for the showroom. I have calculated the depth of the slab and beams and the spacing of colums based on the following table:

Beam Span = 20 x depth of slab and beam together.
My slab and beam is 200mm thick so columns will be 4m apart. Recommended spacing of 4200 will work with a 4mx4m grid.

(Source: Design Guide for Long Span Concrete Floors Cement and Concrete Association and Steel Reinforcement Institute of Australia 1992 from Construction and Structures Reader)

No comments: